Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
This zesty one-pot meal is easy to throw together on a busy weeknight.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1½ Tbsp garlic, mashed (about 3 cloves)
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 1/3 C no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/3 C low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 C lemon juice
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/3 C water
- ¼ C golden seedless raisins
- 1 Tbsp fresh cilantro, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or substitute 1 tsp dried coriander)
- 1 Tbsp capers, drained
- 2 Tbsp green olives, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion, bell peppers, and garlic and sauté until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and stir fry for another 5 – 10 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Add the tomato sauce, chicken broth, lemon juice, cumin, bay leaves, water and raisins to the vegetables and chicken.
- Cover the pan and reduce the heat. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves and garnish with fresh cilantro, capers, green olives and serve.
Tip: Serve with brown rice and black beans.
Yield: 6 servings
Serving size: ¾ C chicken and vegetables
Each serving provides: calories 162, total fat 5g, saturated fat 1g, cholesterol 46mg, sodium 133mg, total fiber 2g, protein 18g, carbohydrates 13g, potassium 380mg