Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Classic Thai flavors blend together beautifully in this delicious curry; add more green curry paste for a spicy kick
- 1 Tbsp peanut oil or vegetable
- 1 Tbsp ginger, minced (or a 1-inch piece, crushed)
- ½ Tbsp garlic, minced (about 1 clove)
- ¼ C scallions (green onions), rinsed and chopped
- 1 Tbsp lemongrass, minced (or the zest from 1 lemon: Use a peeler to grate a thin layer of skin off a lemon)
- 1 Tbsp Thai green curry paste
- ½ C light coconut milk (or use a spoon to discard visible layer of fat off the top of an unshaken can of regular coconut milk; then, measure ½ C for recipe)
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp lite soy sauce
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- ½ C low-sodium chicken broth
For chicken and vegetables:
- 1 bag (12 oz) frozen vegetable stir-fry
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- Thaw frozen vegetables in the microwave (or place entire bag in a bowl of hot water for about 10 minutes). Set aside until step 7.
- For sauce, heat oil in a small saucepan on medium heat. Add ginger, garlic, scallions, and lemongrass, and cook gently until tender, but not brown, about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add curry paste, and cook for an additional 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, honey, soy sauce, fish sauce and bring to a boil over high heat.
- In a bowl, mix cornstarch with chicken broth. Add mixture to the saucepan and return to a boil while stirring constantly.
- Lower heat to a simmer and add chicken strips. Simmer gently for 5 – 8 minutes.
- Add thawed vegetables and continue to cook gently with lid on until the vegetables are heated through, an additional 2 – 3 minutes.
- Divide into four even portions, each about 3 ounces chicken breast and 1 cup vegetables and serve.
Tip: Delicious served over rice or Asian-style noodles (soba or udon).
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 3 oz chicken, 1 C vegetables
Each serving provides: calories 207, total fat 7g, saturated fat 3g, cholesterol 50mg, sodium 249mg, total fiber 3g, protein 23g, carbohydrates 14g, potassium 406mg