Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
This hearty soup is flavorful, yet simple to prepare.
- 4 oz shiitake mushroom stems, rinsed (remove caps and set aside) (or substitute dried shiitake mushrooms)
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced (about 2 – 3 cloves)
- 1 Tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, crushed (or the zest from 1 lemon: Use a peeler to grate a thin layer of skin off a lemon)
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- 4 C low-sodium beef broth
- 1 Tbsp lite soy sauce
For meat and vegetables:
- 1 bag (12 oz) frozen vegetable stir-fry
- 4 oz shiitake mushrooms caps, rinsed and quartered
- 8 oz udon or soba noodles (or substitute angel hair pasta), cooked
- 1 lb lean beef top sirloin, sliced very thin
- 4 oz firm silken tofu, diced
- ¼ C scallions (green onions), rinsed and sliced thin
- Thaw frozen vegetables in the microwave (or place entire bag in a bowl of hot water for about 10 minutes). Set aside until step 4.
- Combine all ingredients for broth, except soy sauce, in a medium-sized pot or saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, then lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Strain the broth through a fine wire colander and discard the solid parts. Season to taste with soy sauce.
- To finish the soup, bring the broth back to a boil. Add the thawed vegetable stir-fry mix and mushroom caps and simmer for 1 minute.
- Add the noodles and continue to simmer for another minute.
- Add the beef and continue to simmer for about 5 minutes or until the beef is slightly pink to brown (to a minimum internal temperature of 145 °F).
- Add tofu and scallions and simmer 1 – 2 minutes until heated through.
- Serve immediately in 1 cup portions.
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 C soup
Each serving provides: calories 325, total fat 8g, saturated fat 3g, cholesterol 52mg, sodium 285mg, total fiber 4g, protein 36g, carbohydrates 28g, potassium 882mg