Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Lean beef, vegetables and rice are tossed together in this quick and easy casserole.
- ½ lb lean ground beef
- 1 C onion, chopped
- 1 C celery, rinsed and chopped
- 1 C green bell pepper, rinsed, seeded, and cubed
- 3½ C tomatoes, rinsed and diced
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1 C frozen peas
- 2 small carrots, rinsed, peeled, and diced
- 1 C uncooked rice
- 1½ C water
- In a sauté pan brown the ground beef.
- Drain off the extra fat by tilting the sauté pan over a disposable cup in the sink to collect the fat. Use the lid to shield the meat from falling out. After the fat has turned solid, discard the cup in the trash.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the sauté pan and mix well.
- Cover sauté pan with lid and cook over medium heat until boiling.
- Reduce to low heat and simmer for 35 minutes. Serve hot.
Yield: 8 servings
Serving size: 1½ C casserole
Each serving provides: calories 201, total fat 5g, saturated fat 2g, cholesterol 16mg, sodium 164mg, total fiber 3g, protein 9g, carbohydrates 31g, potassium 449mg