Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Tangy orange flavored beef with crisp vegetables.
- 1 bag (12 oz) frozen vegetable stir-fry or fresh chopped vegetables
- 1 Tbsp peanut oil
- 1 Tbsp onion, minced (or ½ Tbsp dried)
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced (about 2–3 cloves)
- 1 Tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten (or substitute liquid egg white)
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 12 oz beef flank steak, sliced into thin strips
- 3 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp lite soy sauce
- ½ C orange juice
- 1 Tbsp dry sherry (optional)
- If using frozen vegetables, thaw them in the microwave (or place entire bag in a bowl of hot water for about 10 minutes). Set aside until step 7.
- Heat oil in a large wok or sauté pan.
- Add onion, garlic, and ginger and stir-fry until tender but not brown, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Put egg white in one bowl and cornstarch in another. Dip steak strips into egg white and then coat with cornstarch.
- Add steak strips to pan and continue to stir-fry until steak strips are lightly browned, about 5 – 8 minutes.
- Add Hoisin sauce, soy sauce, orange juice, and sherry (optional), and bring to a boil over high heat. Immediately lower temperature to a gentle simmer.
- Add the thawed vegetables and mix gently. Simmer until vegetables are heated through, about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Divide mixture into four equal portions (about 2 cups each) and serve.
Tip: Delicious over rice or Asian-style noodles (such as soba or udon).
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 2 C meat and vegetables
Each serving provides: Calories 261, Total fat 9g, Saturated fat 2g, Cholesterol 28mg, Sodium 418mg, Total fiber 3g, Protein 23g, Carbohydrates 23g, Potassium 648mg