Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Lighten up your traditional hamburger with lean ground turkey — less saturated fat, without less flavor
For turkey burger:
- 12 oz 99 percent fat-free ground turkey
- ½ C scallions (green onions), rinsed and sliced
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 4 oz spinach or arugula, rinsed and dried
- 4 oz portabella mushroom, rinsed, grilled or broiled, and sliced (optional)
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
- Preheat oven broiler on high temperature (with the rack 3 inches from heat source) or grill on medium-high heat.
- To prepare burgers, combine ground turkey, scallions, pepper, egg and mix well. Form into ½ to ¾-inch thick patties and coat each lightly with olive oil.
- Broil or grill burgers for about 7 – 9 minutes on each side (to a minimum internal temperature of 160 °F).
- Combine mayonnaise and mustard to make a spread.
- Assemble ¾ tablespoon spread, 1 ounce spinach or arugula, several slices of grilled portabella mushroom (optional), and one burger on each bun.
Hint: To grill portabella mushrooms, scrape off the gills from underneath the mushroom caps.
Lightly coat with olive oil, and grill or broil for 2 – 3 minutes on each side
or until tender. Slice and set aside until burgers are ready.
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 burger with toppings
Each serving provides: calories 299, total fat 11g, saturated fat 2g, cholesterol 89mg, sodium 393mg, total fiber 5g, protein 29g, carbohydrates 26g, potassium 424mg