Chicken and Mushroom Fricassee
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Fat free sour cream, vegetables and herbs make this rich and hearty dish guilt free
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 carton (10 oz) white button mushrooms, rinsed and quartered
- 1 C leeks, split into quarters, then sliced into small squares and rinsed well
- 1 C potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 C celery, rinsed and diced
- 1 C pearl onions, raw or frozen
- 3 C low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb skinless chicken legs or thighs (4 whole legs, split, or 8 thighs)
- 2 Tbsp each fresh herbs (such as parsley and chives), rinsed, dried, and minced (or 2 tsp dried)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp fat-free sour cream
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 ºF.
- Heat olive oil in a medium sized heavy bottom roasting or braising pan (a large sauté pan with a metal handle will work as well).
- Add mushrooms to pan, and cook until golden brown, about 3 – 5 minutes. Add leeks, potatoes, celery, and pearl onions, and continue to cook until the vegetables become soft, about 3 – 5 additional minutes.
- Add chicken broth to the pan, and bring to a boil. Add chicken legs to the pan, cover, and place in the heated oven for about 20 minutes or until the chicken legs are tender when pierced with a fork (to a minimum internal temperature of 165 ºF).
- When chicken legs are tender, remove legs from the pan, return the pan to the stovetop, and bring the liquid to a boil. Add herbs and lemon juice.
- In a bowl, mix the cornstarch with the sour cream, and add to the pan. Bring back to a boil and then remove from the heat.
- Season with salt and pepper, and pour 1 cup of vegetables and sauce over chicken.
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 chicken leg, 1 C vegetables and sauce
Each serving provides: calories 242, total fat 9g, saturated fat 2g, cholesterol 42mg, sodium 430mg, total fiber 3g, protein 20g, carbohydrates 24g, potassium 807mg