Chicken Quesadillas with Red and Green Salsa
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
This delicious finger food can be served as an appetizer or main dish
- 4 medium tomatoes, rinsed and diced (about 2 C)
- ½ C red onion, diced
- 1 medium Jalapeno chili pepper, rinsed and split lengthwise — remove seeds and white membrane, and mince (about 2 Tbsp); for less spice, use a green bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp lime juice (or about 4 limes)
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or substitute 2 tsp dried coriander)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 4 (10-inch) whole-wheat tortillas
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp chili sauce
- 2 oz pepper jack cheese, shredded (about ½ C)
- 1 Tbsp pine nuts, toasted (optional)
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven broiler on high temperature, with the rack 3 inches from heat source.
- For salsa, combine all ingredients and toss well. Chill in refrigerator for at least 15 minutes (Salsa can be made up to 1 day in advance and refrigerated.)
- Cut chicken into thin strips, and place them on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Broil for 8 – 10 minutes.
- To assemble the quesadillas, place four whole wheat tortillas on the countertop or table. Top each with one-quarter of the sliced cooked chicken, salt, chili sauce, cheese and pine nuts (optional).
- Fold tortillas in half to close, and carefully transfer each to a baking sheet lined with parchment or wax paper.
- Bake quesadillas at 350 ºF for 5 – 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve one quesadilla with ½ cup salsa on the side.
Tip: Delicious with a side of fresh grilled corn-on-the-cob.
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 quesadilla, ½ C salsa
Each serving provides: calories 339, total fat 11g, saturated fat 3g, cholesterol 62mg, sodium 453mg, total fiber 4g, protein 26g, carbohydrates 32g, potassium 454mg